Wednesday, March 5, 2008

HIV/AIDS & kidney problems

Kidney problems can occur amongst HIV-positive individuals and that some HIV medications may cause kidney-related side effects. Recent research shows that HIV treatments can help improve the health of kidneys in people with low CD4 counts. The results of this study showed that there are improvements in kidney function in people who started HIV medications with a CD4 count below 200, and whose viral load falls below 400 when they started HIV treatment. Researchers are implying that HIV may cause kidney problems for people with weak immune systems even before starting treatment. Do you think this is true? Are kidney problems caused by HIV medication side effects or is it HIV itself? What is your experience?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had good kidney function tests until I went on my latest meds. A year later I started vitamins and they blamed the vitamins until I pointed out the kidney function tests were worse before the vitamins! I have been told by a GP specializing in vitamins to cut back on your minerals when you are having problems with your kidneys.

Woodyjake said...

hellocheck out my smoking website hahahahaha
http://smokingdiscussions.blogspot.com/


good website